The Government of the Slovak Republic approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic for the support of mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP) is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic supports study/research/teaching/artistic mobility of international students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists at higher education institutions and research organisations. It supports two-way mobility – international scholarship holders to Slovakia, as well as Slovak scholarship holders abroad. The programme offers Scholarships to cover living costs during the stay and travel allowances (all categories in case of scholarship holders from Slovakia; students and PhD students in case of international scholarship holders).
Successful applicants will receive the following monthly benefits:
- University student of the second level of higher education: 400 €
- PhD student: 734 €
- without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time less than 4 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist: 734 €
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time less than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist: 980 €
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time more than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist: 1050 €
- Scholarship holders will be reimbursed the costs related to medical examination and issuing of this confirmation, up to 250 € per scholarship holder
- In addition, students and PhD students can be awarded a travel allowance, (travel grant), if they apply for it along with their scholarship application
To be eligible for Scholarships, applicants:
A) students who:
- are university students at universities outside Slovakia
- are students of the second level of higher education (master’s students), or are students who at the time of application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same study programme
- will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and who will be accepted by a public, private or state university in Slovakia for an academic mobility to study in Slovakia
All 3 conditions must be met. This category does not apply to doctoral (PhD) studies (or their equivalent).
- Duration of a scholarship stay (students): 1 – 2 full semesters (i.e. 4 – 5 or 9 – 10 months) or full 1 – 3 trimesters, in case the academic year is divided into trimesters (i.e. 3 – 4 or 6 – 7 or 9 – 10 months)
B) PhD students
Whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private or state university or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme2 (e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility1 to study/conduct research/artistic stay in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (PhD students): 1 – 10 months
C) International university teachers, researchers and artists
Who are invited to a teaching/research/artistic stay in Slovakia by an institution with a valid certificate of eligibility to carry out research and development, which is not a business company3 and it has its seat in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (university teachers, researchers or artists): 1 – 10 months
To apply for National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic 2020/2021, applicants are required to submit:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Detailed study programme (it is necessary to state the date of the beginning of the stay, duration of the stay, list of subjects that the applicant would like to study during his/her stay and number of credits that the applicant will gain for the respective subjects)
- Two recommendation letters issued by applicant’s university teachers (the document must contain signature, position and contact details of the person who issued the document
- Confirmation issued by the applicant’s home university confirming that the applicant is a regular student of the respective university at the time of applying – the confirmation must contain information on the expected date of the completion of applicant’s studies
- Scan of applicant’s bachelor’s diploma, diploma supplement and state examination certificate (if applicable);
- Admission/invitation letter issued by applicant’s host university in Slovakia indicating the period of stay
Institute Name: Higher Education Institutions and Research Organisations
Degree/Course: Students, PhD students, University teachers, Researchers and Artists
Country: Slovak Republic