Applications are invited for Fully funded 07 Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany in Research Training Group at The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS), University of Bremen/Jacobs University Bremen, Germany.
The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) invites applications for 07 doctoral researcher scholarship positions in its new Research Training Group (RTG) 2513 “Social Dynamics of the Self” (SELF), funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). BIGSSS is an international inter-university graduate school in the social sciences, located at the University of Bremen and Jacobs University Bremen, Germany.
SELF will focus on investigating the interactions between individuals and their social environment, providing a platform for early-career researchers from various social science disciplines to study the self’s embeddedness in diverse social systems, ranging in complexity and dynamically changing over time. The English language doctoral program will include a structured curriculum and close guidance by experienced researchers while at the same time fostering early academic independence and creativity by providing support for conducting, presenting, and publishing the PhD fellows’ self-chosen research projects.
The program; Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany is characterized by interdisciplinary collaboration between researchers from various fields, particularly psychology, sociology and political science. The research questions addressed in dissertation projects are envisioned to broadly correspond to seven project lines, but specific research questions are to be formulated by successful applicants. The project lines are:
- Cultures of honor
- Intergenerational identity development
- Self-efficacy, health and well-being
- Conflict between family and work roles
- Social participation and (early) retirement
- Individualization and social morality
- Collective identities in transition
Benefits under Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany
Successful applicants will receive a work contract for 36 months, based on salary scale E13 TV-L/TVöD (65%), at Jacobs University or the University of Bremen under the Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany Program.
To apply for Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany positions, applicants must:
- Have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Psychology, Sociology, or Political Science. Potential applicants with a degree in related disciplines are also welcome
- All accepted researchers are asked to move to Bremen for the program as presence at the institution is required
- Have to demonstrate a broad thematic fit between the dissertation proposal and the outlined project lines
- Up to three possibly fitting project lines can be specified in the application
- Excellent English language skills
- An interest in pursuing a PhD in a structured PhD program and in actively engaging in the events and activities at an international graduate school
To apply for Social Sciences Doctoral Researcher Scholarships Germany Positions, applicants are required to submit:
- Personal Information form (to be completed in the online admissions system)
- Curriculum Vitae (free text – PDF)
- Preliminary Dissertation Proposal (free text – PDF)
- One-page Proposal Abstract (free text – PDF)
- Statement of Purpose (free text – PDF)
- Statement of Skills and Experience with Methods of Empirical Social Research (free text – PDF)
- MA/BA/Diplom/Magister Certificates (scan – PDF)
- University Grade Transcripts (scan – PDF)
- Certification of English Proficiency (we accept TOEFL, iELTS, CAE/CPE (Cambridge Exams)) (scan – PDF)
- Two Recent Letters of Recommendation (to be submitted electronically in your application, or sent directly to the Admissions Officer from your referee by post or email before the deadline)